Men’s basketball headed to GSAC semifinals with win over Master’s

Men’s basketball team heads to GSAC semi-finals.

Cody Anderson, freshman, dribbles during Biola’s victory over Master’s on Thursday night. | Tyler Otte/THE CHIMES

Zachary Fu, Writer

The Biola men’s basketball team defeated The Master’s College 75-67 in the opening game of the Golden State Athletic Conference tournament on Thursday night, March 1. Biola’s offense was powered by junior Chase Adams’ relentless 3-point shooting for the entire game. He had a game-high 25 points and drained six of the Eagles’ nine 3-pointers. Biola also had solid performances from junior Andre Murillo who contributed 13 points and 8 rebounds, and junior Kaimarr Price who added seven points, but also pulled down 10 rebounds. The Eagles move on to the semifinals of the tournament to take on Point Loma Nazarene University on Saturday in an away game at 5:30 p.m.

3-pointers lead the way in first half

The Mustangs started the game with some momentum, taking an early 8-3 lead. However, a fast break three-pointer by Adams and a layup by senior Davey Hopkins tied the game at 8. The Eagles then went on a 19-6 scoring run capped off by a 3-pointer by freshman Dakota Anderson. However, the Mustangs responded with sharp 3-point shooting and the half ended with the Eagles ahead at 39-32.

Biola started out the second half with their usual burst of energy to nearly take a double-digit lead. Biola remained ahead for the entire second half, but with 3 minutes left in the game, the Mustangs’ junior Leif Karlberg sank a 3-pointer to cut the lead to five. However, thanks to key steals and clutch free throws by Anderson, Master’s was unable to make a comeback to extend their season.

Biola now one win away from championship game

The Eagles are currently ranked No. 19 in the NAIA and are one win away from going to the GSAC championship game.