Students tour president’s personal helicopter, Marine One

Several Biola students and David Peters, professor of American presidency, get an inside look at the president’s personal helicopter.

David Peters and his wife pose in front of the Marine One. This is the presidential chopper that is carrying Obama to his various California destinations, Feb 15-16, 2012. | Tyler Otte/THE CHIMES

Ryan Lunde, Writer

In anticipation of President Barack Obama’s visit to the greater Los Angeles area, a group of Biola students traveled to the National Guard base in neighboring Los Alamitos, Calif. on the night of Tuesday, Feb. 14, for a tour of Marine One, the president’s personal helicopter. John Reid, a former Marine and junior social science major, organized the group of 11 students. They were joined by Biola political science professor and presidential enthusiast David Peters and his wife Sheri Peters.

Reid, who served his term both overseas and protecting Marine One, wanted to give his fellow Biola students a peek into the life of the president and those who serve in safeguarding him.

“It was nice to be in familiar territory, to see the boys, to be back in Marine One,” Reid said. “Those were four crucial years of my life.”

Reid, who is currently enrolled in Peters’ American presidency class, thought the tour was also a great opportunity for his professor and any interested students to explore firsthand the lifestyle of one of the world’s most powerful political figures. However, only two other students from Peters’ class, senior Brian Zawistowski and junior Rich Tjosaas, attended the tour. The rest of those to attend were still acquainted with Reid.

Students tour inside of helicopter

Peters, who has personally met several presidents, including Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan, was adamant about the opportunity the tour presented.

“This is a splendid opportunity for my American presidency class to be able to come here and see the fabulous system of transportation and security and communication that is all bound up in the president,” Peters said. “It will leave an imprint on all of our minds.”

Since they were among the few who visited the base Tuesday night, the Biola group had the undivided attention of the Marines devoted to protecting Marine One. The tour consisted mostly of a walk-through of the helicopter’s interior. The helicopter was decked out in 1960s tweed and included several interesting perks — such as an assortment of snacks for President Obama, an inoperable lavatory and a card table. Though the Marines standing guard were cordial and open to questions, a generic reply to certain questions was a wry smile and a “I can’t tell you that, sir.” The tour guide, however, gave the Biola group a unique opportunity to sit in Marine One’s cockpit, which is generally forbidden.

Many students were grateful for the experience.

“I hugged the president’s helicopter and it was awesome!” said senior journalism major Kelsey Osterman.

The president typically uses Marine One when it is more convenient for him and his security force in lieu of a motorcade, which can be both cumbersome and less secure. Obama visited Los Angeles on Wednesday, Feb. 15, to visit landmarks throughout the afternoon and evening before visiting Seattle on Thursday, according to the Huffington Post.