Biola increases art gallery security

Biola places extra security guards and cameras in the Art Gallery as a safety precaution for the 20th century British art from the Ahmanson Collection.

Security has been keeping close watch on the Ahmanson Collection of 20th century art that currently fills the campus gallery. | Ashley Jones/THE CHIMES

Lindsay Hottendorf, Writer

The Art Gallery is currently featuring expensive 20th century British art from the Ahmanson Collection, increasing the risk for theft. In response, Biola hired a private contractor to install two security cameras in the Art Gallery.

The Ahmanson Collection is very valuable, but art professor Barry Krammes was not at liberty to disclose its exact worth.

The opening reception for the collection will occur on Saturday, Feb. 18, from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. About 300 people are expected to attend, according to Krammes.

The art in the collection has never been displayed together before, as the pieces were previously scattered in different homes. When Ahmanson saw the pieces together, she was shocked because of how nice they looked together, Krammes said. There are about 30 pieces by a variety of artists, including Stanley Spencer, Eric Gill, Jacob Epstein, Barbara Hepworth, Edward Burra and Graham Sutherland.

Extra security guards, cameras increase security

To ensure extra safety for the valuable collection, the Ahmansons hired two security guards.

“My job is to make sure that I observe and report anything negative that happens in the Art Gallery,” said one of the guards, Timothy Dowell. “If someone tries to remove or mess with the art, my job is to notify Campus Safety.”

A security guard will stand outside of the Art Gallery between seven and 11 hours each day while the gallery is open to protect the Ahmanson Collection.

Although the collection will be removed from the Art Gallery on March 10, the cameras will remain installed.

The Art Gallery hosts art shows that feature local, regional and national artists, according to the Biola website. The Art Gallery also exhibits art by students, alumni and faculty.

“The security cameras are not going to prevent crime, but the fact that they are there will be helpful,” said Justin Shelby, public information officer for Campus Safety.

Added security merely a precaution

There have never been any reported crimes in the Art Gallery, and the newly installed cameras are now an extension to the ones already on campus. The newly added security cameras in the Art Gallery are not a result of the thefts that occurred around campus last semester. Prior to the installation of the cameras in the Art Gallery, Campus Safety monitored the building with alarms, according to Shelby.

“Biola has been a safe place, even before we installed the security cameras years ago. Our goal is to keep it a safe place,” Shelby said.