Burger Quest: dine in space at Galaxy Hamburgers

Galaxy Hamburgers in Cerritos offers great service, low prices and above average food.

Job Ang

This week, we tasted the delicious food at Galaxy Burger. Although the restaurant offers many types of food items, we recommend a classic cheeseburger and fries. | Job Ang/THE CHIMES

Conner Penfold, Writer

One would think, with a name like Galaxy Hamburgers, that spaceships and astronauts and asteroid belts would be evidently visible while enjoying your bacon cheeseburger and French fries.

However, this is most certainly not the case.

Menu choices offer variety

The inaptly named restaurant has an ’80s diner feel to it, but despite any sort of space theme beyond the sign cornering the cross streets, this burger joint has a lot of upsides.

The first noticeable feature is the expansive menu, boasting a variety of sandwich items such as a Philly cheese steak, gyro sandwich, pastrami sandwich and a grilled sourdough burger, just to name a few. They even offer three choices of wraps for those of us who are anti-bun.

The restaurant’s side order choices consist of the usual characters, including French fries and onion rings. But a few surprises might catch the adventurous eye, such as chili fries, fried zucchini and deep fried mushrooms.

To quench your thirst, Galaxy offers, again, the usual suspects to help your food go down smoothly, but throws in a few extra options just to make your brain work. A wide range of both milkshakes and smoothies are offered, though they are a bit pricey.

Galaxy offers quality service and low prices

The food came out in a timely manner, allowing just enough table talk before becoming restless. But when presented with the food, although I wasn’t deterred by its appearance or taste, I wasn’t wowed by its flavors, either. What I was left with was a solid meal, consisting of a quality hamburger and fries. Nothing fancy, but certainly no Burger King.

Its close proximity to campus is a plus, sitting just three miles from Biola on the corner of Alondra Boulevard and Carmenita Road in nearby Cerritos. Set in the middle of a business park, be prepared to encounter hordes of well-dressed professionals enjoying their break from a day’s work.

You’ll find the prices reasonable at Galaxy, with the exception of the milkshakes and smoothies. But expect a meal to range between $6-$8, which is well worth it once you notice the hearty portion of fries on your plate.

So if you find yourself on the outskirts of Cerritos at Galaxy Hamburgers, anticipate a difficult decision at the ordering counter with the diverse menu and an above average meal, but do not expect to be blown away. Its strengths are in the possibilities.