Women’s basketball secures second win in a row

Biola women’s basketball defeats Concordia 66-56 and prepares to play Westmont University on Tuesday.

Alexandra Campos, Writer

In a dominating night against Concordia University, the Biola University women’s basketball team emerged with a 66-56 victory in Irvine, Calif. on Saturday night. Senior guard Emily Drews led the Biola Eagles with 14 points while senior Lauren Gustafson added 12 points and four assists.

Offense comes alive in Biola’s victory

It was an even battle throughout the first half of the game. Concordia played good defense forcing eight turnovers, but it was Biola’s exceptional offense that made a difference as they made 15 of 30 field goals while Concordia only made 11 of 29. Biola struggled to maintain the lead early in the first period until Drews’ three pointer tied the game at 15 with 11:26 left in the first half. Biola was able to remain ahead and ended the half 35-30.

Biola entered the second half dominating in every area and secured the lead early for the rest of the game. Biola went up by 19 at the end of the second half following freshmen Chelsea Hill’s tip-in shot. Concordia struggled to keep the game close as Biola shot 50 percent of their three pointers, and 40.9 percent of their field goals in the second half while Concordia made a low 25 percent. Although Concordia raced to catch up, scoring 10 points in the last minute of the game, the Eagles were able to end the game with a 66-56 win.

Biola now has an overall record of 14- 8 and will take on Westmount University in Santa Barbara on Tuesday February 7, 2012.