Tyrone Wells plays crowd-pleasing performance for Biola Weekend

Tyrone Wells played a show at Biola for the first time in three years and pleased the crowd with favorites like “Sea Breeze.”

Tyrone Wells played at Biola on October 14, 2011. | Job Ang/THE CHIMES

Christina Bryson, Writer

Tyrone Wells returned to perform at Biola for the first time in three years on Friday, Oct. 14 with a night of yodeling, a Cyndi Lauper cover, and a sneak peek at his new album.

As the sun went down, the vendors packed up, and students, parents and alumni gathered on Metzger lawn to listen to Wells.

Several bands play to close day one of Biola Weekend

Wells’ show was the end of the first day of Biola Weekend. An action-packed Friday that began with the Talbot dedication ended in the concert in the same place.

Wells was preceded by Brian Albright, a senior, who provided a worshipful atmosphere covering Jon Foreman, Coldplay and Explosions in the Sky. Albright was followed by a Biola favorite, My Double, My Brother.

“We were trying to do something that the students, parents and young alumni would like,” said Deannah Baesel, the advancement events manager. “Tyrone really fit the bill.”

Wells plays crowd favorite, “Sea Breeze”

Wells’ show featured a variety of songs mostly from his albums “Hold On,” “Remain” and “Metal & Wood,” but he also revealed two new songs off his latest album “Where We Meet,” which will be released in February.

Wells pleased the crowd with a favorite among the female population with “Sea Breeze.”

According to Baesel, “Sea Breeze” was the song the girls swooned over, referring to the times Wells played at Biola when she was a student.

“He was single at the time, so all the student girls were crazy in love with Tyrone,” Baesel said.

Wells engages audience with stories

Wells was in his element when it was just him and his guitar.

Wells maintained a dialogue with the audience often stopping to share personal stories behind his songs. For example, “Carolina Blues” is a reference to a story of when his dad taught him how to yodel when he was thirteen years old.

The chemistry between Wells and his band makes them appear more like a family than simply friends. For the tune, “And the Birds Sing,” Wells and his band gathered around the microphone for the opening harmonies giving an aura that was ultimately fun.

Wells also put his own acoustic spin a medley combining Lauper’s 1980s classic “Time After Time,” Cutting Crew’s “Died In Your Arms” and Eurythmics’ “Sweet Dreams.”

Wells will always be welcome at Biola, according to students and alumni.

“I love him, this is one of the best things I’ve been to at Biola,” said junior Lindsey Kouns.