Local Church Series: Reality LA

Reality LA offers Biolans a place to gather with hundreds of other like-minded youth.

Ashley Jones

The featured local church of the week is Reality LA. Services are held in the Bernstein High School on Sundays at 9:00a, 12:00p and 5:00p. | Ashley Jones/THE CHIMES

Natalie Bautista and Natalie Bautista

As a continuation of the local church series, this week’s article will spotlight another church that Biola students can check out, Reality LA.

Planted in 2006, Reality LA is located about 30 minutes away at Helen Bernstein High School, located in the heart of Hollywood yet surrounded by a small residential area. This location has three services every Sunday at 9 a.m., 12 p.m. and 5 p.m.

Locations all over the world

They consistently have about 2,200 attendees every Sunday, and more specifically have about 950 at the 9 a.m. service, about 800 at the 12 p.m. and about 500 to 600 at the 5 p.m., according to Rebecca Redig, assistant for community care and special projects.
Reality LA is a church plant of Reality Carpinteria, located in Santa Barbara, Calif., and is part of the Reality network of churches that includes Reality San Francisco, Reality Central Valley and Reality London. Reality Carpinteria was actually the church where current Reality LA lead pastor, Tim Chaddick, got his start with involvement in the Reality church branches.

The service takes place in the large auditorium of the high school, with the band set up on stage and the attendees filling every seat in the place. The band’s personal appearance, however, cannot be seen directly as the way the lighting and stage is set up every week only makes it possible to see the silhouettes of the members and instruments, but not their actual faces.

When there are no more seats available, overflow space is offered on the steps overlooking the courtyard where one can listen to the speaker and see the famous “Hollywood” sign up in the hills. There are information booths and a complimentary coffee table located near the entrance to auditorium. Because it takes place at a high school, the staff must set up and tear down every weekend.

Spreading the message of Christ

Jonathan Fitzgerald, a deacon and pastoral assistant at Reality LA expresses the mission of the church.

“We want to glorify God in all we do, build up the body, and evangelize and care for the lost,” Fitzgerald said. “We want to mobilize people to live for Jesus in every aspect of our lives, and we want the same for students.”

Junior Kelly McNeill, an intercultural studies major and Torrey Honors student, has been attending Reality LA since her freshman year at Biola.

“I love Pastor Tim’s teaching and how he can reach all sorts of people,” McNeill said. “He always brings it back to the message of Christ, the fact that he is risen and the beauty of the cross. It’s a very college student type of church and I try to soak up the fact that there are so many young people in one place, worshipping God.”

On the web

For those who cannot make the drive out to the Hollywood location, Reality LA’s website contains videos of past sermons that students can watch directly as well as an option that allows them to download the audio version of the sermon, making it easy for all students to hear the message.

Tessa Perreault, a freshman nursing major, has attended Reality Carpinteria in her hometown of Santa Barbara before coming to Biola and trying Reality LA.

“I like the way the pastor is very straightforward and doesn’t add any fluff to the message,” Perreault said. “He doesn’t shy away from what needs to be said and always gives good advice on how to have a committed relationship with Christ.”

Reality LA, with its youthful congregation and location in the center of Los Angeles, is another possible home church for Biola students seeking a place to worship.