Lady Antebellum’s third album doesn’t disappoint

“Own the Night” earns 3.5 out of 5 stars for its catchy singles and beautiful harmonies.

Courtesy+of+discussionsmagazine.com.+

Courtesy of discussionsmagazine.com.

Mark Nesbitt, Writer

With release of their third album, “Own the Night,” Lady Antebellum shows that their previous success wasn’t luck at all. About three and a half years ago, Lady Antebellum entered the country music market, unknown to many. Their self-titled debut album earned them four Grammy nominations and two top 10 country singles, but it wasn’t until their sophomore effort “Need You Now” that they became a household name. Both albums set the trio up as the ultimate crossover group, as they have nine top 20 country singles.

They snagged five Grammys in February, including song of the year for their hit “Need You Now,” and their songs have continued to infect the mainstream more and more. In the fashion of striking the iron while it is hot, Lady Antebellum has released their third album “Own the Night.” The album title shows that they are more comfortable in themselves, but that unfortunately does not mean they feel comfortable taking risks.

Simple and sweet songs

Part of Lady A’s appeal is their soft spoken music that never packs too much of a punch. The first single, “Just a Kiss,” is an ode to true love and real romance, but it follows the same formula as always, nothing special. It can be filed away with such hits as “I Run to You” and “American Honey” in the safe but charming folder. Isn’t that why Lady A is so popular: simple songs that make you smile?

The album is exactly what you would expect coming from the group that, along with Taylor Swift, has helped bridge the gap between country and mainstream — “Need You Now” peaked at No. 2 on the Hot 100. The orchestration on “Own the Night” is beautiful, but the songs never leave that safe zone. Charles Kelley’s amazing voice make him the ultimate country star, but unfortunately the same can’t be said for his female counterpart. Hillary Scott is Lady Antebellum’s biggest downfall. Her voice is weak and completely unmoving. Just think how great the band would be if Carrie Underwood or Martina McBride were in Scott’s place. They would blow the roof off of every single venue. Scott isn’t the next country star, but with “Own the Night,” Lady Antebellum moves one step closer.

Staying in their comfort zone

By now you are probably expecting me to say that the album is terrible, but I actually love it! Though the songs are safe and Scott’s voice is less than satisfactory, Lady Antebellum has mastered their formula and it works incredibly well. The songs are catchy, and did I mention the beautiful orchestration?

“Wanted You More” is the best song on the album, and given the chance, it could be a huge hit. It is country catchy, but yet doesn’t get caught up in the typical “My dog got ran over … I am drinking a beer” lyrics that are so typical of today’s country. They brilliantly blend pop and country into songs that the listener can identify with as they sing about love and heartbreak.

The album starts off strong with “We Own the Night” and it never looks back. I have no doubt that Lady Antebellum’s new album will further cement their place in the music world. “Own the Night” also focuses on Lady A’s strong suit, exquisite harmonies. The plus side to Scott’s paper thin voice is that when mixed with Kelley’s husky baritone, they make such incredible music. The combination of their voices make the choruses of their songs that much better.

“Own the Night” isn’t the best album I have ever heard, but it is for sure going to be replayed over and over again in my iTunes. Their new album will do them well now, but looking forward they will have to start taking risks. In today’s music world, artists must constantly be evolving to stay relevant, and if Lady Antebellum wants to be around in 10 years they are going to have to break out of their safe zone. Needless to say, I am nervous about their future, but for now Lady Antebellum has me hooked.