International students feast at school during Thansgiving away from home

For most college students, Thanksgiving is a welcome break from the rigors of homework and classes and a time to travel home to see family and friends. However, for some students, “home” is just too far away to justify the cost of a plane ticket for just a five day break. Enter the International Students Association (ISA), which seeks to connect students who can’t easily get home to their families.

“We want to create a home away from home and a family away from our families, and open up a space for international students to enjoy this holiday,” said Josi Hwang, the ISA President.

For some students, this fellowship will came during the ISA Thanksgiving Dinner, which was an entire homecooked meal served in the Collegium on Wednesday night. The dinner not only allows for students to connect with each other during a time when most of the dorms have emptied out, but also to experience a taste of what November’s major American holiday is like.

Along with ISA’s efforts to make students feel more at home during the break, several Biola professors have offered to open their homes to international students for a Thanksgiving homecooked meal on the Thursday of the actual holiday. Bible professors Dr. Dave Talley and Dr. Rick Langer are among those who live nearby and volunteered to open their homes to students.

ISA is also giving their members an opportunity to serve a Thanksgiving dinner to the homeless in the La Mirada area on Thursday afternoon.

“The reason I am going to be part of the ISA Outreach is because I live too far from home for the break and I need something to do,” said freshman Jonathan Barker, whose actual home is in the Philippines.

“Not only will I be spending time with my fellow ISA members who are great friends of mine,” Barker said before the break, “but I’ll be taking time to lend a hand to those who need it.”

Even without the proximity of their actual homes, Biola’s international students are still finding and giving a sense of home to those less fortunate. Their experience with a very commericalized American day has not completely pushed aside the heart behind the holiday.

“What better way to give thanks than by giving,” Hwang said.